It looks like you're using an outdated browser.

To get the best possible experience using this website, please upgrade to a newer version of your browser. Learn how

Buy with Builder

Now you can buy a house and land package with the Suburban Land Agency through our partner builders. 

How it works

This is another way for you to buy land from the Suburban Land Agency. By choosing this option, you can buy the land with a builder who already understands your block requirements and is ready to start building. The builder may also share potential designs for your house, to make it easier for you to visualise what your new home might look like.

Subscribe to our "Residential Land Release" mailing list for more information on when this will be made available.

About the builders

All builders who are part of the Suburban Land Agency Put and Call Options have met pre-existing criteria, including a past track record check. However, the Suburban land Agency still encourages you to undertake due diligence and your own further research.

Frequently Asked Questions

Why should I buy with a builder?

Builders will have selected blocks suited to the type of home they build, therefore potentially saving you time in the design process.

What checks has the Suburban Land Agency done on builders?

Builders will be required to hold current residential building license, current insurances and notify us of active or ongoing disciplinary action against their licence in the past two years. However, you will still be required to do your own due diligence on the builders and their products.

How can I find out what blocks are available for sale through a builder?

We will update the "Buy with Builder" page when builders and blocks are made available.

What do I need to pay for the land and when?

You will need to pay a first deposit instalment equal to five percent of the value of the block when you exchange contracts with the Suburban Land Agency. The balance of the land contract price is payable to the Suburban Land Agency at settlement (usually 30 working days from exchange).

For more information on the buying process please you can visit the ‘How to Buy’ page on the Suburban Land Agency website.

Will the builder increase the price of the block when they sell it to me?

No. You will be buying the block directly from the Suburban Land Agency at the same price as it was previously listed.

Who do I contact for more information?

When the blocks have been made available you may contact the builder directly. Alternatively, you may also speak to our sales agents. Contact Civium Property Group for blocks in Throsby, North Wright and North Coombs and Independent for blocks in Taylor.

Are the blocks ready to build on?

Yes, all blocks offered through the builders will be land ready.

What should I consider when designing and building?

The Suburban Land Agency’s Buyers Guide offers valuable advice and information on things to consider when designing and building your home.

Why are some blocks identified as buy with builder?

The builders have entered into Put & Call options on these blocks which allows you to buy the blocks from the Suburban Land Agency at the same time as entering into a building contract with the builder.

I have seen a “buy with builder” block – am I able to buy it and choose my own builder?

No, these blocks are only available through the builder nominated as they have entered into a Put & Call arrangement with the Suburban Land Agency.

A similar block may be available for direct purchase in the estate you are looking at, you can contact our sales agents to help you find one. Contact Civium Property Group for blocks in Throsby, North Wright and North Coombs and Independent for blocks in Taylor.

Do I have to pay stamp duty?

Yes, you will have to pay stamp duty on the land component but as these are split contracts, no stamp duty is payable on the building contract. Split contracts are separate contracts for the purchase of the land and the construction of your home. If you are a first-time home buyer, you may be eligible for the stamp duty waiver

I would like to give feedback about a builder that has sold me a house, who can I speak to?

If you have feedback about a builder please forward your comments to the HIA, MBA or contact Access Canberra via phone or online.

Access Canberra is responsible for assessing and investigating complaints about breaches of the:

  • Planning and Development Act 2007
  • Construction Occupations (Licensing) Act 2004
  • associated operational acts including the Building Act 2004